Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Chocolate Conspiracy

Or: Chocolate Addict Discovers Chocolate Genius at Raw Spirit East

This past weekend was the East Coast Raw Spirit Festival, the first one on the East Coast for some time, these events are born out of CVO (Chief Visionary Officer) Heavenly (Happy) Oasis's desire to bring Bliss to the far corners of USA via raw food and raw community. It took place in Upper Marlboro and - to avoid repetition - you can read all about the details here, and find out how to attend the Arizona festival in September. Also you can follow Pure Jeevan's Jim Dee over the next week as he describes his road trip to, and experiences at RSF East.

Another time I'll talk more about my experiences at the Raw Festival but for now I want to introduce you to AJ.

This is AJ.
Hidden away down by The Valley Stage, his booth was (imho) not given enough light, kudos or space... but then I am an unapologetic Chocolate addict and don't understand the mental machinations of those who are not blessed with this same affliction.

AJ is the 'CEO' for Chocolate Conspiracy, a company out of Ridgefield, CT and he brings forth (at this time) five divine flavors of raw chocolate that - after ample samples - I decided were the best raw choc I have ever tasted. If you have ever tried to make raw chocolate bars (well, why wouldn't you really...?) you will know that the tempering, sweetening, non dairy aspects can present huge taste, texture and durability problems, but AJ has conquered them all.

I bought a selection of flavors from his booth early in the day and as the temperature climbed to around 98 degrees I wondered if my money was going to turn into chocolate sauce. Miraculously they stayed intact and believe me when I say, for raw chocolate, this is a miracle.
and
As to taste and texture, this is something I am not officially qualified to comment on, as wordy as I can be, I don't have the language for it. You know how wine connoiseurs say things like 'fruity bouquet' and 'complex mixture of blackberry with crab apple overtones and a hint of pine bark' (huh?) So real commentary can be left to the real experts while I will just advise you - if you want to change the course of your Destiny, put AJ's chocolate on your bucket list.
and
So, that's it?
and
Yup, just about.
and
I wanted to make a huge plug for someone who quite clearly has talent and could use our support as he makes a name for himself. If you have the inclination, go to his site and spend some dosh - I recommend Dark, Mint and Maca but I'd eat any flavour and not just because 'I do Chocolate'. They are delicious and inspiring and of course, because they are raw chocolate you'll get the bonus side effects - or maybe in the case of raw chocolate it's the full effects (or front effects - what is the opposite of side effects? It can't be 'other side effects' surely?) - of self respect, inner harmony and at-one-ment. All of which gets passed on to your fellow human beings.

More pics of an open bar before it vanished, quite mysteriously...